Sunday, August 4, 2013

OK... it's been awhile, but let's get back to modeling

Wow, has it really be over a month since I posted?!?!  My friend Bruce was over yesterday and he reminded me that I needed to get something out here.  Or more like, "Hey, when are you going to post something next?"  When I set up this website I figured a post a week or maybe two posts a week, well, so much for the best laid plans...

So what have I been up to?  Well, work!  Yeah I was was back in Taiwan for another month.  But this time I was jammed the whole time with work.  Very little free time.  Hence very little writing time.  And, of course, no modeling time.   Got back last week, took the encouragement from Bruce, and here I am at the keyboard... so let's get back to modeling.

So what do you do when you haven't been able to work on a model for about four months and all the inspirations you had seem like a distant memory?  Well, for me, I start over.  I put away all the half started projects and I look through my stash and I find something that I just want to build for fun.  I still have my F-14 that I want to finish and I pulled out an armor kit, Tamiya's M3 Stuart light tank.  I figured its an easy and quick build.  And maybe I can even get it done before Nationals.

Oh, yeah, and that is another piece of good news.  I am going to go to IPMS Nationals this year!  I had thought I was going to be in Taiwan and would miss it.  But I am back and able to go.  We leave next week.  And just maybe, I will have an M3 to take along.

Something else you do when you have been away from the work bench for a while, you clean house.  I realized how much junk I have accumulated after being away for a while.  I am in the process of cleaning, sorting, reorganizing, and generally thinning out my stuff.  This includes my stash of kits.  The deals you pick up at shows that you can't pass up but then realize you will likely never build. So my stash and my build room will be a lot thinner soon.

Ok, this has been pretty rambling, and a bit unorganized.  But its where I am at.  I guess I feel a bit unorganized at the moment.  Have you had times where you have had a lengthy absence from the hobby?  Either forced or by choice?  Share it.  Why were you away?  And what did you do to get back into things?  Or are you still away?  Maybe its time to start thinking about what you miss and starting back.  Anyway, what does that look like?

Thanks for reading my rambling post today.  And thanks for finding ScaleHistory.  I hope this can become a place for you to stop by more often.  It won't be a month until my next post.  I will talk to you soon.

Until then... keep building.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Doug,
    Thanks for your blog. I enjoy reading what you have to say. You do have a way of drawing my interest and encouraging me to stay with my projects.
    I have just come off a cold spell of not building. With four projects going on and drawing a big blank. Answer, stop building ! With camping and family get together, just wore me out. I realized that I needed to keep modeling fun and not a task. Things don't need to be perfect, If it is no fun, I quit!!
    I hope you keep blogging and, sharing your thoughts and and frustrations. You being real is the best.
    thanks, keep building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bruce. I really appreciate your encouragement in this endeavor. It's a process to learn to write on a regular basis and I am learning. But I am committed to keep at it. As to modeling... YES it needs to be fun! If it's not fun then we need to find something else to do. And you are right, if we hit a point where we need a break, then take a break. I am convinced that modeling as a creative endeavor takes creative energy from us. And we only have so much at any given time. And that creative energy can be drained by other stresses in life too easily. So when its not there, take a break and refresh.

    ReplyDelete