Sunday, June 2, 2013

What is an "Everyday Modeler" anyway?


Well, I think I am.  So what does that mean... anyway?  I had actually been thinking about that term a lot while I was thinking about the idea for this website.  I mean, I didn’t have the term right away, but I was thinking about the idea of it.  

So, what was I thinking about?  

I wanted ScaleHistory to be for the average modeler.  But what is an average modeler?  I wasn’t thinking just skill or interests or time invested.  I was thinking more along the lines of an everyday kind of guy who loved what he did at the model bench.  That was it... an “everyday” modeler.  I thought it fit me.  Average skills?  Sure.  Limited time like everyone else?  Sure.  Love the social part of the hobby?  You bet.  Trying to get better and learn new things?  Definitely.  But I’m one of the guys who just happens to love this hobby and all that goes into it.    

So, what am I like as a modeler?

I love the shows and all that goes into them.  I like to compete but I struggle to build for competition because I struggle with my patience.  But most of all I want to have fun with all this.    

I love the history behind what I build as much as building what I build.  I wrote about that  last time. 

I like to talk about the hobby as much as I like building.  I guess that’s one reason for starting this site. 

I love the construction part, but there are also things about it that i don’t like as much... seams, painting is hard for me, I hate the sanding and rescribing part.  For that matter I have not done much rescribing.  So much for contest winners I guess.  

I’m finding I enjoy armor builds more than aircraft, they seem easier.  But I love the aircraft subjects better.  I love the background and connection to them better.  

I am definitely not a rivet counter.  But I want things to be accurate - to a degree at least. 

I love to write and I want to see if a person can write about modeling beyond the “how to’s”.  

For me the social aspect of modeling is as important as the construction or hobby part of it.  I don’t think I would model if I was in isolation.  I need the club, the shows, the road trips.  I need the friends I have made in the hobby.  

When I build I am very careful about some things, construction, painting, but not so careful about some other things, seams, ribbing, panel lines.  I think I have the patience to build a “3-foot model”.  From three feet away it looks great.  The problem is that judging occurs from three inches away.  I’m still learning that.  But I’m ok with that.  And that is the topic of a future blog.  

So, who are you as a modeler?  Enter your comments and let me know.  

Until next time... keep building...

No comments:

Post a Comment